Muir Woods National Monument preserves a virgin stand of redwoods just north of San Francisco. It is the only area in the National Park System which contains trees of this species though extensive stands of virgin forest of other types are preserved in a number of the nation parks.
The monument lies at the south foot of Mount Tamalpais, a noted landmark in this region, and contains 485 acres of Federal lands. The area was donated to the United States by Congressman William Kent and his wife, Elizabeth Thacher Kent. At their request it was named in honor of John Muir, noted traveler, naturalist, and writer. It was established in 1908 by Presidential proclamation